Thursday, August 19, 2010

Solitary or Social Endeavor

Scientist association with other scientist can influence and nurture their way of thinking for various reasons. Science IS a "social endeavor", you can not only credit one scientist for a set of discoveries. If the work of one scientist was not finished or perfected, another will work on the previous scientist ideas and go on to finish is work. Scientist use each others ideas, data, and discoveries to later make other discoveries and so on. It's like a "I scratch your back you scratch my back" type of relationship. James Hutton relationships with people influenced his thoughts. His friends included fellow scholars and members of the Scottish Enlightenment who provided an environment that nurtured progressive ideas. One of his closest friends was Joseph Black, and together they shared a love for chemistry. If science was not a social endeavor, scientist would not have made the discoveries we now know of.
I plan to become a doctor in the future. My future profession is both a solitary and social endeavor. It would be solitary in the way that if i were to set up my own office, i would only talk to my patients. i would for the most part be on my own, maybe with a nurse or assistant. It would be social in the way that i would go to conventions to further expand my knowledge, and learn new methods of treatment, tools, and different medications. Also, being in a hospital would make my profession a social one because there are a lot of people in a hospital and communication with you colleagues is vital. Being a doctor can be both a solitary and social endeavor. JT

No comments:

Post a Comment